1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens eating eggshells...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Jan 3, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    My daughter went to get the eggs today and dropped one. She said the chickens ate the egg and the eggshells. I have read that it's bad to let them eat eggs because they might get into the habit of doing that, but will eating the shells hurt them?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Well technically its not bad. its got calcium and protein. I feed mine hard boiled eggs and smashed up egg shells all the time with no problems

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    The shells are an excellent source of calcium for them. [​IMG] Some will save shells as they use up the eggs, then bake the shells in the oven (makes them easier to crush and kills any germs) to give back to their chickens.

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I think it would be more problematic that they ate the egg yolk/white, not the shell. I have had ducks that will pick eggshells out of my compost pile, even though they were eating layer feed. Since then, I have actually made a habit of giving them the shells after using the eggs. They haven't picked up any bad habits of eating whole eggs.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by