Chickens eating Feathers

pikeszoo

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
My moth old chickens are eating feathers. I have increased their protein level but still they eat feathers. I give them timothy hay and cracked corn to keep them munching in there pen along with their feed. I tried rooster booster anti pick rubb but they still pick at each other from time to time. They keep eating wild bird feathers too. They are not old big enough to be let out, they can slip through the fence and I'm still trying to find out about them and the peafowl. Any suggestions out their???????

The corn may be working against you--it reduces the overall protein level in their diet. Try taking away the corn and adding fish meal, instead. They could also be picking because they don't have enough space. How many birds do you have in what kind of area? I hope we can help you solve your problem!

smile.png

Thank you ,I did not know that about the corn. I have ten in a 25 by 16 pen. I hope when they get older I can let them roam the horse pasture and only put them up at night.

At one month old, they need to have chick starter still....or finisher/grower. I would be carefull of the hay...as it could lead to sour crop. Mine are 7 weeks old, and still on starter. Just my opinion. Maybe someone else has another idea?

Yeah, I agree, at 7 weeks, just keep it to their starter, it is balanced for them and because they are so small, fill up pretty eaisly on "junk food" like treats and corn.

Back
Top Bottom