Chickens eating fresh paint??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WiddleChix, Aug 18, 2016.

1. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    I just painted my chicken coop. It's about a foot and a half raised off the ground and the turkeys and chickens are pecking the wet paint off of it. I noticed one chicken had the green paint on her beak and some inside. Will they be ok? No lead in the paint I bought it about a year ago and am repurposing it to use on the coop. I just don't want my chickens to get sick I'm kinda nervous :(

2. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Anyone?

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Depends how much they ate. Keep them away, If they're alive tomorrow, a good chance they'll be OK. Chickens will eat anything once. I constantly find stuff the chickens dig up that thankfully they didn't eat. Wish them well. GC

4. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    They didn't eat that much I just hope they're ok. I think the only reason they were even pecking at it was because I was over there painting it. I've checked on them since and they weren't interested in it. When you said "if they're alive tommorow" makes me really nervous [​IMG] I just wanted another opinion, I know chickens will eat dry paint off of old buildings and whatnot and it doesn't harm them if they only eat a little bit I didn't know if wet paint was worse.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Well if they didn't eat much as you said,they should be Ok. GC

6. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Thank you for responding

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Story told....Fresh paint and Chickens...
    Sorry...Keep them away from the paint. If a water based paint? They will be fine...Oil based they will get the poops a bit....No worries....

8. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Okay I won't worry then. It's also warm out so they are drinking more water I figure that will dilute and flush out the toxins that are in paint. Thanks all.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, silly chickens.........

10. WiddleChix

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    Update:
    Everyone's healthy and alive today! Lesson learned no more painting in the run [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by