Chickens eating fresh paint??

WiddleChix

Songster
6 Years
Jul 15, 2016
California
I just painted my chicken coop. It's about a foot and a half raised off the ground and the turkeys and chickens are pecking the wet paint off of it. I noticed one chicken had the green paint on her beak and some inside. Will they be ok? No lead in the paint I bought it about a year ago and am repurposing it to use on the coop. I just don't want my chickens to get sick I'm kinda nervous :(

Depends how much they ate. Keep them away, If they're alive tomorrow, a good chance they'll be OK. Chickens will eat anything once. I constantly find stuff the chickens dig up that thankfully they didn't eat. Wish them well. GC

They didn't eat that much I just hope they're ok. I think the only reason they were even pecking at it was because I was over there painting it. I've checked on them since and they weren't interested in it. When you said "if they're alive tommorow" makes me really nervous
1f630.png
I just wanted another opinion, I know chickens will eat dry paint off of old buildings and whatnot and it doesn't harm them if they only eat a little bit I didn't know if wet paint was worse.

Okay I won't worry then. It's also warm out so they are drinking more water I figure that will dilute and flush out the toxins that are in paint. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom