chickens eating holes in barn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Does anuone have any idea why some of my birds have decided to pic holds into the t1y11 siding on my barn. It started as one hole now has become 2 large ones. I'm wondering if its because once the red paint is gone the wood is exposed and the color is different...any ideas?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Is it plywood or a flake board type siding?

Guessing here.

Boredom
    Bugs
    Termites
    Now a habit
    Great taste, less filling
    Trying to make a break for it?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Fred's Hens :

Great taste, less filling

[​IMG]

Seriously though, your birds must have some tough beaks...is the wood dryrotted?? If it's just one main area/spot, I'd simply tack a thin section of paneling or something over the spot...​

4. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Haha...cracking up over here! Well it started with one spot now they have 2 spots on each side of the hatch door that are large. The siding is not rotten they must just be bored.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    My hens started doing this to the old wood platform our shed is on-- the wood is old and softer, but still solid. I don't really know why, and I was horrified since I just water-treated it this summer with a petroleum product. I used some furring strips to put on the corners where they were pecking and that stopped it for now!

6. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG]

x2

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a wood fence around my property, and the chickens have decided to start pecking it, I am thinking since it is old there are bugs in the wood and they are eating the bugs. We were planning on refencing the yard in the spring-now with them pecking at it, I am hoping it lasts the winter.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You said it's by the hatch door. Could they be eager to get out in the morning? Are you letting them out at first light? My girls peck at the door and scream like banshees as soon as the first light comes. I find myself getting up with the sun just to appease the silly chickens.

9. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Maybe they just wanted a window there? I find that my girls love to look out the windows in the morning.

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine did that to some foam insulation on my utility shed door. Weirdos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by