Chickens eating less??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DarleneE, Sep 5, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Can anyone tell me if chickens eat less in the hot weather or something?? My two gals are just NOT eating my much of their layer feed lately?? They are acting fine and running and playing and they DO eat any treats such as lettuce, shredded carrots, grapes and watermelon if I give it to them!! Could they just be holding out for treats maybe?? They've always eaten BOTH things like regular little pigs.. but just not lately for the last week or so. I DO give them the treats I mentioned above, once a day, in the evenings when I bring them back to the coop from their outside play area in the yard. I don't give them a huge amount though and I've done this all their lives and would hate to stop it now as they do expect it and are so eager for it!! As part of their evening "treat" I also include some of their laying feed soaked in some icy cold water (we're in Florida heat!!) and they DO eat that all up!! So they ARE getting SOME of their feed, just not eating much from their feeder in the inside or the outside coop. Should I be concerned??
    BTW they are 8 months old!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I think this is normal. Mine, also, are pigs with treats and eat less feed in hot weather and more in cooler weather. As long as they are eating the feed, loving treats, and acting normally, then don't worry.

3. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Thank you so much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by