Chickens eating pig feed....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hope Hughes, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
    So normally i wouldnt care too much about the chickens eating the pigs feed...but i have notied its turning their poop blueish... should i be worried about that. Most of the chickens are still young, fully feathered but not laying yet. ​

2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    The rule was when I was younger; sheep and chickens mix, goats and chickens mix, pigs and chickens don't.
    If my memory serves me it was the problem of one eating the others feed.:confused:

Hope Hughes likes this.
  3. The problem may be them eating each others feed, but the much larger issue is that the pigs will eat the chickens. 100% Some folks have pigs and chickens that mix, but the general rule is not to mix them due to that. Especially younger chickens who aren't as smart.

Hope Hughes and Shadrach like this.
  4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    That seems a far more likely explanation. I just recalled from many years ago they don't mix well.

Hope Hughes likes this.
  5. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
    Thanks for the input, i may figure out a different feeding schedule for now. Dont like the idea od the blue poop! They may just have to eat really early and really late before the chickens are around.

Both my big(350+ and one is about to pop!) pigs have never tried to eat the chickens or anything mean/aggressive to them.... there are a few that spend all day in their pens with them. And the meat pigs dont care ether. I guess it must just be certain pigs and what they are raised around... :confused: i think the chickens feel safe being around them, they free range on 40acres so i could see the benefit of big ol pigs as gaurds lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: