Chickens eating pine shavings

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Bee, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    First of all; hello, this is my first post on this lovely board! [​IMG]

My chickens are all 13-14 weeks old, and... they seem to think their bedding is a treat. Every time I put a new layer of it down, they came running over to eat it and happily munch up all the "choice" bits of shavings! [​IMG]

This isn't going to hurt them, is it?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

My girls kinda pick at it...taste it ...but I think they spit it out. I don't think they actually ATE any. Maybe they fiound something tasty IN the bedding. Tiny bugs maybe??? [​IMG]

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I tossed some in the run a few days ago--thinking that they would enjoy pecking and scratching THROUGH it but instead they ebgan eating it. I raked it up and tossed it in the woods. They're still alive and have been pooping, so I think they'll be fine

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    WELCOME TO BACKYARD CHICKENS!

Just a thought but do they have free choice of crushed oyster shell and chicken grit? They might be missing this in their diets.

5. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    My girls take a bite of theirs pretty regularly - doesn't seem to hurt them. Just make sure they have grit so they can digest it somewhat.

6. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Yep, they have grit. I don't know if they're old enough to get oyster shells or not. Should I wait for them to start laying, or is it alright for them now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by