1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens eating poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tx2008, Oct 25, 2008.

1. tx2008

tx2008 New Egg

Oct 25, 2008
    We have a few stray cats and dogs that come onto our property at night. My chickens run the place during the day. We walk around and scoop up all the poop but sometimes we will miss some and the chickens find it and go to town. Today they found a some and as I got them away from it and scooped it up I noticed it had worms in it.

Should I be worried about the worms passing to my chickens?

And what about the eggs they lay should I toss them?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Certain types of worms can be passed to your chickens this way.

I would plan on worming them, don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks after worming.

3. tx2008

tx2008 New Egg

Oct 25, 2008
    Thank you! I'll be going to the feed store on Monday.

4. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I absolutely hate finding another dog's waste on my property. [​IMG] We live on 3 acre lots. I spent a lot of money to keep my dogs on my property and expect others to keep their dogs off my property. It is a shame you may now be faced with health problems in your poultry as a result of someone elses dogs/cats running at large. As far as your question goes I would consider some type of worming either commercial medication or a natural method. You can search the forum to find plenty of natural ways. The worms should not affect your eggs to my knowledge. Good Luck!

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Before worming your chickens you need to know what you saw in the stool. Where the worms you saw actually a parasitic species or was is just maggots? If it was only maggots then there is no need to put the birds through the stress of worming. Maggots are not going to hurt the birds and can be a good source or protein.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

7. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I agree as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by