Chickens eating the eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by billiebrat, Oct 20, 2008.

1. billiebrat

billiebrat Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Altoona, PA
    We had been getting roughly a dozen eggs a day for quite awhile. Lately it has been 2-5. I figured it out as to where they have been going. I caught them eating the eggs. What is that about and how do I stop it? They have lots of room and lots to eat. I don't know what else it could be.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Try putting some wood eggs or golf balls in there. Something hard that when they try to eat it, it will not break. It wont take too long before they stop trying to eat them. You'll need to collect the real eggs quicker if possible.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I had a hen that would peck her egg after she laid it, I used the golf ball idea and it worked like a charm !!!!!

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Remove the eggs 4 times a day if you can. Place golf balls or wooden eggs in the nesting boxes. Someone also had good luck with blowing an egg out and putting HOT sauce in it.
    Good luck.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Try doing a search on "egg eating". There are lots of posts on the topic. [​IMG]

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:I don't see how that would work. I read a post either here or on homsteadingtoday.com and chickens cannot feel the "heat" in spices and foods. That's why cyanne (sp?) pepper flakes people use to treat them for things don't bother them. Were those people wrong?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    i may be wrong, but i think that someone mentioned filling an egg with mustard and vinegar?

they also say that it is a hard habit to break, especially if more than one is doing it. good luck and I hope you find a way to stop it. i'll be watching to see what other remedies are offered here.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Ive had a few incidents with that happening. My problem was that the egg got cracked and they saw that and went in for the kill. They left the uncracked eggs alone. A Few of these chickens are not here any more. [​IMG] They thought they could get away with it while I was right behind looking [​IMG]

9. billiebrat

billiebrat Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Altoona, PA
    These guys seem to eat the shell and whites and leave the yolks coming back for them later. I keep sneaking in on them every hour or so, but I cannot catch them in the act. I moved the golf balls to the places they have been laying to see if it helps.

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    If it's the shell they are going for first, their diet might be lacking in calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by