chickens eating their eggs! HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by casteaver, Oct 5, 2011.

1. casteaver

casteaver New Egg

Sep 7, 2010
    We have 4 1.5 yr old birds. We just moved and during the move one of them layed an egg and we were unable to retrieve it in time. They ate it and now 2 days later they have eaten 4 eggs. I only managed to get one egg before the "now canibal" birds discovered it. I have been checking often for eggs to try to discourage this behavior but they lay at odd hours and I have so far been unsuccessful. Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would sit in the coop for several hours or use a camera to see who is doing it. If it is a HARD shelled egg she is eating, cull her. If it is a soft-shelled egg, then you might have a chance here. Try to give oyster shells and you might have to mix them in the food a little. Those soft shelled eggs will get eaten- there is no way around it.

Some have had success filling the egg with unsavory liquids like mustard or soap???? I am not sure. If you are very attached to your chicken you might try to rehabilitate her- best to separate her immediately so she doesn't teach the others.

But it spreads like wildfire in a flock, and it usually starts with just one culprit.

Another option is to sell the whole flock at auction and start over if you cannot stop the behavior.

If you will, search BYC for "egg eating soap mustard." Or "filled egg."

Ahhhh- I agree with flockwatcher- rollaway nests!!! (Edited to add.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. casteaver

casteaver New Egg

Sep 7, 2010
    Thanks! I will check out the links. A friend just gave me the advice of putting in wooden eggs or golf balls to curb the eating as well. I think I will try it all. The eggs are hard and not soft also. Your help is appreciated![​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh you definitely need to put some golf balls in there. That is supposed to prevent egg eating. They peck at them and see there is no fun to be had. I hope it all works out for you and your girls!!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Golf balls is a good idea but try this. There is liquid you can buy that tastes and smells terrible. It is meant to stop chickens from pecking each other but it will work for this. Smear some on an egg, then put it in the coop for your cannibals. The taste and smell should stop them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by