Chickens eating their eggs

jhellwege

Hatching
Sep 29, 2015
Fairhope, AL
I have 15 chickens 2 roosters and 13 hens. They have started eating their eggs. I've tried to put eggs with mustard in them but my chickens apparently like mustard because they have eaten those eggs also. I started to give them oyster shells last Friday. It hasn't started to help yet. As far as I can tell my original 5 hens don't eat eggs but ALL the rest are. Any ideas?

Egg eating is usually from a deficiency or from boredom. Hens fed layer and then given treats or scratch can become deficient in protein. I feed a higher protein feed to offset the extras, 18-20% is a good protein level, layer generally only has 16%. A good non medicated grower or an all flock ration are good choices. Always provide an extra bowl of oyster shells which should prevent a calcium deficiency.

It can take some time for their bodies to recover from a deficiency, you can speed it up by providing an extra protein snack like some cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or canned fish.

If they are confined too tightly kept, or not given range they may start eating eggs out of boredom. So make sure they have plenty of room and things to do. Make sure your nests are off the floor, slightly darkened and keep ceramic eggs in your nest to deter pecking.

What I have done is put wooden eggs or golf balls in the nesting boxes and collect eggs regularly. This way when they go to peck them they are in for a nasty surprise.

Thank you, I got them some different feed yesterday, gave them some sardines for a snack this morning and I'm going to look some some fake eggs or golf balls tonight. I'll post our progress. Thanks again for the advice!

smile.png
Your Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom