Chickens eating their eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Dave, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Chicken Dave

Chicken Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Tyngsborough, MA
    After the chickens lay the eggs they eat them. They eat two a day (out of the typical twelve). Does anyone know what I can do?

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have heard that you can give them vitamins and they will stop.

3. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Well, I have had mixed success with this. I thought mine were doing the same thing but it turns out it's a wild bird.

Anyway, do make sure they have laying feed and oyster shell. You can try a fake wood egg and see if they peck that. Otherwise from what I hear you should try to figure out who it is and pull them out. The others could pick up the habit and then you will have no eggs at all, which would be sad.

4. i also have an egg eater, but since they all look alike (I have RIR;s)I don't know which one it is , I have a golf ball in each nest, they usually roll it on the floor, tried green food coloring in a fresh egg, that one they didn;t eat, so I give up, they free range half day, get plenty of hardshell(co-op said same as oyster shell).and since I have 15 doz eggs in my fridge, they can have the one they eat. Also tried hot sauce, didn't work either marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by