chickens eating their eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pamarino17, Apr 22, 2011.

1. pamarino17

pamarino17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Now that the weather is warm, snow is gone and hens back outside in the run, I've noticed when I get my eggs when coming home from work, there are one or two that have been broken and insides consumed. Don't know who the culprit is, but how do I stop this behavior? This wasn't happening last summer/fall.

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Firstly make sure that your hens are getting enough protein and oyster shell.

Is there anyone at home that could check for eggs frequently during the day?

I would add several fake eggs to the nests that way if they peck them they don't get anything. Check to see which hens beak has yoke on it to find the culpit. You could do this on the weekend when you are home. I have heard of people making a small hole in the egg and blowing out the contents and filling it with mustard or something that hens don't like and then sealing it with wax and putting that in the nest.

I understand it is a hard habit to break.

Good luck and best wishes

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How often do you collect eggs a day??? Could it be they are breaking the eggs while they are nesting to lay their own? All of my girls prefer to lay in the same box, and if I don't collect the eggs often enough they step on them, break them and then clean up their mess. So- they may not be intentionally breaking the eggs to eat them, perhaps just accidently. Just a thought....good luck.

4. j egger

j egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Georgetown, TX
    here's what I do, I would either put a video camera in you coop and then take it when you gather the eggs, then sell or eat them. another option is to put fake eggs in the nest boxes and then when the hens try to eat the eggs they will be surprised. either way will work i've tried them both and they work so there are my ideas.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by