1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens eating their eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirl101, Sep 26, 2011.

1. chickengirl101

chickengirl101 New Egg

Jul 17, 2011
    Hi,
    I have posted a post a few months ago about a chicken laying eggs without shells, and now i have discovered that the same chicken is actually eating her own eggs! I went out to the nesting boxes one morning and she was in the middle of laying her egg. To my horror,she stood up, popped out a shell-less egg, and then proceeded to peck a hole in it and devour the membrane, leaving the yolk in the box. I really don't want to get rid of her, so i was wondering if someone knew how to stop this behavior. Should I just lock her up in a separate pin? I am also worried about the other hens picking up the bad habit. tks!!

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    chickens love eating yoke. if you feed them scrapes make sure they dont include eggs!, this probley started when she layed and egg and she stepped one it or something. google it theres alot of websites out there that talks about it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by