chickens eating their eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tottenfarms, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tottenfarms

tottenfarms New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    I think my two Rhode Island Reds are eating their eggs. They have been laying steadily for a month or so now; but I haven't seen an egg in a week. My other chicken, an Aracuna, has been laying consistently. I have also found some sticky egg like membranes in the coup.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep...during molt and even in other times in a chicken's laying life they will lay eggs with softer/thinner shells that are easily broken while getting onto or off the nest. Any broken egg is food for a chicken and they are opportunistic eaters.

In all the flocks I've had over all these years I've never had an "egg eater" as most people define them....chickens usually won't peck open a perfectly good egg and eat it or your other egg would be gone as well.

Up your oyster shell and protein levels in times of molt or unusual hormone levels. Feathers take more nutrition to grow than the bird normally needs, so give more protein and calcium to get them through and you should see a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by