Chickens Eating Their Eggs:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WendiZ, Feb 20, 2014.

1. WendiZ

WendiZ New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    My chickens just suddenly started eating their eggs:( I have six and do not know which one it is; trying different pieces of advice but am really afraid that this is not possible to break?? This has been about a week and a half.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's a long time. It needs to be nipped in the bud, especially before the offender teaches the whole flock to do it.

It's often the result of a thin shell that gets broken and they learn how tasty they are.

Remove eggs frequently during the day. Put a lot of fake eggs in the nest.

3. WendiZ

WendiZ New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I have tried to go out every two hours if not more. We are new to raising chickens, and things have been going fantastic since we got them last spring. They have been laying 4-5 a day even with the Connecticut crazy weather we had. We have had some below zero spells so there have been recent days where I have not let them out in the run. Someone said they could have started out of boredom. I have increased calcium. cleaned boxes and make sure filled with the hay, plenty of water and feed. I am so afraid that we won't able to fix this???? Just by comments I see. I will try the fake eggs, golf balls (which is what we used last year initially). It just came on so quickly:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by