Chickens Eating To Much Grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Berkley, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Berkley

Berkley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I have a coop and run with two roos and a pullet in it. Recently one of the roos, around three months old, started "eating" the grit. He actually goes for the grit over feed and even treats like fresh greens. Now the other roo is following his lead and they are both trying to eat as much as they can and as fast as they can. The pullet isn't as bad about it. I give them free choice chicken grit from the feed store, but have cut them back now because they are eating it even over their feed. I even tried mixing chick grit and regular grit in case it was the wrong size for them, but they just ate both. lol

I have another coop and run with my older chickens and they don't do it at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas how to stop it? I hate to cull both of the roos because I wanted one to keep.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Simply limit the amount you put out. Throw it on the floor of the coop so they have to search for it, might also slow them down. It sounds as if it has become a competition on who can keep the other from eating any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by