chickens eating woodcutting chips

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    week or so ago Hubby cut up a few logs by the log rack etc. Of course not the first time. When they are let out everyday from their 1/2 ACRE run they wander around and they were eating those wood chips. Not just picking thru but totally looked like to me the actual small chainsaw chips.
    Now are they lacking something in their diet? The paths around here used to be shredded chips but Hubby changed most in the hilly areas to round river rock
    Cause the heavy rains were washing away the chips. In the
    but lately because of those PERSISTENT blankety blanks in the sky.... they stay in the big poultry wire run unless we are out their with them. then they will or may wander some in their fenced 1/2 ACRE. I guess they are scared instinctually.
    even though they have lots of bushes, fencing, truck toppers, trees. Course lots colder and windy more too,
    Now several are sickly again too and they won't even feather dust. It always something. Its prob the chemtrails Thanks all

2. Do you provide any granite grit?..

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed with CR, they are probably seeking grit. In the absence of grit, they will eat what ever most closely resembles grit.

4. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    yeah they have clean grit in protected containers, oyster shell. calcium, gravel, rocks everywhere they have access to 1/2 acre ALL DAY....
    plus most of REST of property before roost time
    they have access to weeds, dirt, grass, leaves, bushes, also and sand too....

imnukensc likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    In that case, I'd not worry about it. If I followed my birds around and watched what they eat, I'd spend all day long trying to take stuff away from them.

6. PupsNHens

PupsNHens Chirping

Sep 19, 2017
    N. Texas
    I don't know, but as I'm building my coop the chickens come running when they hear the saw or drill. They love sawdust! They are always under my feet pecking at it as I go. Go figure. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by