chickens eatting fruits

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ericmcginn5, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    my chickens love fruits like banans canolope plums peaches i think its becouse they are easyer for them to eat. i let them have as much as they want i wanted to know if i should limit how many fruits to give them or do they know when to stop

2. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Apparently you're only aloud to give your chickens enough food scraps or fruit so that they will be able to finish it up in several mins (but chickens love it so much that I give them more than what they need). :)

3. ericmcginn5

Apr 2, 2013
    it wont hurt anything if i feed them it as long as they wont tho right i know severl people that leave a bowl of it in the coop all day

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A chicken will eat almost anything it can swallow when the crop isn't full.
    I make sure they get enough chicken feed before I give treats.
    Fruit is good but they also have to have at least 16% protein in their total intake.
    A chicken could probably thrive on fruit and bugs.
    Chicken feed is formulated to be a complete ration based on exhaustive research in poultry nutrition.

5. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    Hi, I keep the feeder full and give treats once a day

6. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    My 7 ladies share: one large head of lettuce, one cup of homemade scratch mix, and one cup of treat per day (usually some kind of fruit). I prefer them eating mostly feed, to ensure they have the proper nutrition for egg laying - my feeders are full all the time.

7. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Yeah, I give my girls access to their feed all the time and once a day give them scraps.

8. ericmcginn5

Apr 2, 2013
    ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by