Chickens & Egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willow13, Nov 30, 2009.

1. willow13

willow13 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    We have 6 RIRs and 2 Easter Eggers. (And an EE Roo) We have been getting around 4-5 eggs a day, once 6. The RIRs are around 30 weeks and the EEs are around 27 weeks. One RIR who is a lot bigger than the rest, except for one, still has a small and pink comb, the others are fully developed and dark red. One of the EEs is still pretty light too. The eggs have slowed down though. Only getting about 2-3 a day now. The days have been getting really short now, and we just put a light in there like ~5 days ago. Is there slower laying probably due to the light and weather? Should they increase with longer daylight now? Also one of the bigger RIRs who was laying pretty big eggs seems to have stopped. She is also missing some of her top feathers on her back near her tail and on a spot on her head. She was always the dominant one so we were wondering if she was fighting with the roo and he was attacking her, because he can be feisty. Does that usually happen? What would cause the feather loss? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

(PS they are in a big coop with 4 open boxes, etc and a big run - they also get to go outside in the yard when the weathers nice.)

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Your hens are still relatively new layers, so that could account for a few skips. Also, yes, the length of daylight will affect them, sometimes despite the artificial light. I usually don't bother with extra light, it gives them a chance to rest during the winter. And don't leave them in light 24/7, they will start pecking each other sometimes.

Hens mature at different rates, don't worry about it. Just keep them all on layer feed, grit and oyster shell, they'll come along. The bigger RIR is probably the roosters favorite hen and being bred more often. The roos grab the feathers at the back of the head, leaving them bald, and his feet/spurs will remove the feathers from their backs. There are chicken saddles available, do a search here on BYC, top right. The saddles protect the hens backs, allowing the feathers to grow back.

The recommended ratio of hens to roo is at least 10:1. You may want to check into getting more hens, and don't forget to do a proper quarantine. [​IMG]

Good luck, it sounds like the ordinary flock problems, nothing dire.

3. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I only have 1 rooster for 20 girls and i dont
    see anymore missing feathers. The weather
    and lighting can slow the girls down and they
    will go through a molting peirod and not lay.
    I have 20 hens and have been getting 10 to 12
    eggs a day, so only half are laying right now and
    we have an insulated coop and light.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    we have 36:1 ratio here, and his Favs all have missing feathers!

insulated, Heat Lamp (-30's and lower) & lighting (14+) in Coop, Just lighting in the run 6:30 am-6:30 pm.

Still getting 18-24 eggs a day.
    soon will be more with the additional Pullets starting....

New plan to seperate my Brahmas (4 Female + 1 Roo) from the main Flock, for breeding purposes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by