1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 19marvinn, Dec 8, 2015.

1. 19marvinn

19marvinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    My chicken layed her first egg Sunday (2 days ago). I've been expecting her to lay yesterday and today but she hasn't. Is something wrong?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Not necessarily, they aren't always consistent layers when they first start. As long as she is acting normally I wouldn't worry about it. You may get an egg tomorrow or not for a week.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy 19marvinn

The breed of chicken would be helpful in this case as some breeds are more prolific layers than others.

Having said that, I have found with all my new layers [bantams] it takes a while for the new layers to get their 'plumbing’ right and get into a routine etc and yes, having a break every so often when they are new to laying is not a cause for concern unless she is showing any signs of stress or illness.

4. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I believe the layer is a Barred Plymouth Rock.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?

6. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015
    Not as much as anymore. I had a hawk problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by