Chickens enjoying the great outdoors!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Invertalon, May 5, 2011.

1. Invertalon

Invertalon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Have a few pictures from the other day... Our four pullets (two red sex link and two white leghorns) love eating all the grass in sight, and the white leghorns are the bug eaters by far. The one will run up to you when you have a shovel and await you to turn that dirt so she can grab some fresh worms (picture below!). They are so fun to watch now that they are outside. We hope to finish the outdoor section (placing netting over the garden area that they will be able to run around in during the day) to prevent any predators from having a snack... But here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    They're helping you garden! [​IMG]

3. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    They are so cute! And do they stay right around where you are working? My yard isn't fenced, so I'm afraid to let mine free range.

4. MsMoss

MsMoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    My dad's found at first when he let his chickens out of their coop yard, they stayed close to the coop, but now they go all over the yard. But your chicks may be different.

5. Invertalon

Invertalon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yes, they are not phased at all when you are working... The one white one pictured just waits for you to dig up some dirt! She sometimes even jumps on the shovel and rides it a bit before jumping off! (picture below!)

They all love to eat the leaves off the raspberry bush... They will have a ball when they berry out. They can help keep them trimmed in the meantime!

hisdaughter,

They do stay in their "restricted area" which is a little fence (3.5'?) around the coop with access into the garden area when we let them out. The white ones being more flighty get a little more adventurous though and may try to escape if unattended I am sure, but so far we have only let them out supervised until we get the area secured with a netted "roof". That will be the play area during the day for them when we are home. They won't get free range for the entire backyard though, seeing as we have two dogs (who would love to get them) and some predatory birds flying around. So for now, they only get supervised "play time" until we finish the other area, so usually they just play around in the coop which is still pretty large for their size.

Here are a few more pics showing them in the "play area", and showing the coop/fence we have for them. So far, no escapes! haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    When they are completly full grown it wouldnt hurt for them to comlpletly full range when you are home! my girls have a huge run with no roof cause they are bigg enough. But they arnt allowed out of it cause they play in the road! bad girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by