Chickens eye pecked & swollen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jordan8, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jordan8

jordan8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    Hi guys,

so it was about a week ago i noticed my roosters eye had been pecked...i only know he has been pecked because of the 'peck cuts' up and around his face along ,with my observations...unfortunately the day i noticed it i couldn't do anything as we were off out the door to go on holiday for a week. When we came back the eye was still swollen and i decided to wash with saline eye solution which i have been doing for a few days now. there is no signs of improvement yet, is there anything i can give him to help. the eye is a little smelly which indicates infection.....would terramycin or something like that help?

thankyou

jordan;)

2. jordan8

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    i shall get pictures later, im at college till 5:30 today.

3. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Maybe someone can help with the antibiotic meds part. But I had a hen with a swollen and possibly missing eye (looked really bad) I applied neosporin directly on the eye after washing it with a warm soft wet cloth. I did this for a week and she showed improvement just after 3 days. I'm thinking this and an antibiotic should clear it up if it's not too badly damaged... Don't forget to to lock him away until healed.

4. jordan8

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    being in the UK, which stupidly don't sell any antibiotic ointments not 1 lol.....iv gone and ordered some neosporin from a online supplier, thankyou for you help hes isolated and hopefully be back on his feet as soon as ,being my prize chuck (naked neck) ... out of interest in the US how much is a tube of neosporin? i payed £10 about $7-8 dollars......sorry i haven't posted a pic:/ its been a hectic day.
    jordan:)

5. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    About $4 bucks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by