Chicken's eye welded shut after bodily trauma, help/info please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alison1, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Alison1

Alison1 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi,
    So our chicken was trodden on with the full weight of a person, she was very ill + we took her to the vet, who thought she wouldnt survive, but thankfully, she is back home being nursed right now. She suffered internal trauma, and her head is swollen, one side more than the other (hence one shut eye), with her beak slightly open because of the swelling.
    She is looking abit better each day but one eye seems to be welded shut with the sleep/eye-sand stuff, and she cannot open it. I was wondering how we would go-about un-welding it, whether there are any special chemicals/medicines we can use?
    Or would a wetting of the eye and dabbing with a wet paper towel be sufficient to remove it?

Many thanks.
    Will add some photos if you like.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,you can use warm water be careful wiping her eye. Is her eye swollen shut from infection?

3. Alison1

Alison1 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I think it was originally shut just due to more swelling on that side, which then caused lost of fluid around her eyes, which then dried and welded it shut. But I dont think there is an infection.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I use polysporin 2 antibiotic EYE ointment on my girls/boys,if this is available where you live,it will help with an eye infection or with the eye sealing shut.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Warm water or saline soaks (like a thick wash cloth folded) and held against the eye for 10 minutes or so should do the trick. Make it fairly wet. Then eye ointment would keep it from recurring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by