Chicken's eyes are cloudy, fading in color and pupil is irregular, distorted

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kratieklp, Dec 27, 2013.

1. kratieklp

kratieklp New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Should I be worried about my chicken? Her eyes used to be a bright yellow with a uniform pupil. Now it looks like the iris has faded in color and they are almost cloudy. Her left pupil is distorted and very long, while her right pupil is very small and fractured.

She is a Buff Orpington, about two years old, is eating/drinking/behaving normally. She does not appear to have lost any weight. A couple things that might be notable but also might have nothing at all to do with this issue: about 4 months ago one of the other chickens attacked her and ripped off half of her comb. We treated it and it did heal, but since then her comb and wattle have faded significantly in color. Second, about 2 months ago she started molting, and some of her feathers have grown back white, so she looks spotted when she has always been uniformly blonde.

I hope it's not Marek's Disease? Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Possibly ocular marek's: Normal eye on the left.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is picture #17 from one of the links eggcessive posted:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I have a bunch like this and they're just fine. I know someday they'll succumb to Marek's, but for now they're in good flesh and very happy.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by