Chickens Eyes Are Water With Bubbles Around Them Plz Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlaineWillard, Sep 24, 2010.

1. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i have a few chickens that there eyes are watery and look like they have bubbles around them. Looks like they are going blind. What could be the problem? I did have mites a couple days ago but i dusted them and now the mites are gone and now i have this problem. My eggs production has been way down for a week or so. 20 hens only got 2 eggs yesterday so something is going wrong. Plz help.

2. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i also found one of my hens dead in the coop this morning. plz i need so advice on what to do.

3. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Hello there!

I haven't ever had that happen to my hens, but it sounds like the symptoms of Infectious Bronchitis. Check out the "links to diseases" in the first thread of this forum. You can treat for the effects, but it is not curable. We get our bronchial medication (Tetracycaline) from Tractor Supply. We used it once as a preventative measure after our birds almost drowned early this spring in a monsoon.

Good luck!

4. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    If the area below their eyes is swollen, that can be also due to swollen head syndrome. This also causes secondary infections due to E. coli, and mycoplasma Gallisepticum. This explains that they don't lay eggs. For this i used tiamulin. It is a pretty strong antibiotic. I had the same problem, and i lost two hens and possibly now a rooster. You should treat it as soon as possible.

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I wouldn't be hasty to assume that your hen died from whatever issue you have going on with the bubbly eyes. Mite infestation can quickly emaciate and kill a chicken in a matter of a few days. The hen that died...was she really thin? By the time mites are noticed, it's very possible that it may be too late...even treating them doesn't help them recover. And dusting/treating them for mites is very stressful as well. I'm not saying that your hen DID die from the mites...I just wouldn't assume that she died of whatever else your birds have. [​IMG]

6. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Quote:I am sorry that i change the subject here. If your chickens are infected from mites, how do you deal with this? The powder that is used for louse is it any good?

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It could be CRD, Chronic Resp. Disease. That is pretty common with birds. Not trying to sound harsh, but personally I would cull all birds that have bubbly eyes. If you do not want to do that, then I would suggest Tylan Water Soluable as the antibiotic. If you do not have too many you can just get Tylan 50 and give that antibiotic by mouth to each bird. 3-5 days.

8. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:I am sorry that i change the subject here. If your chickens are infected from mites, how do you deal with this? The powder that is used for louse is it any good?

We treat mites with wood ash. It works like a CHARM. Kills the mites and gets them off of the chickens. We usually spread a 1/2 to full trash can full of wood ash on the floor of our coop. No chemicals and it works.

9. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:You said you dusted for mites a couple of days ago. Did you by chance get any of the dust in their eyes, mouth or nostrils? If so, that could be the problem.

10. hen-at-home

hen-at-home Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    North Central MA
    My son just noticed one or our BO has a swollen eye area. No bubbles or discharge at this stage and the eye is not swollen shut yet. I've been searching the forum for what we should do next and for some idea as to what we may be dealing with. There does seem to be a tiny spot above her eye that could be indicative of her being pecked by another hen and we are wondering if this has caused an infection. So far I've only come up with either Coryza or Mycoplasm as possible diseases. We fed her some raw garlic as a natural antibiotic solution, but not sure of the dosage to use for that. We will be quarantining her today just in case. She is my son's hen of our 7 hen flock. I'm bummed that his girl had to be the one to be sick. He's worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by