Chickens eyes won't open!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Smokey2201, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Smokey2201

Smokey2201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    I have 4 silkie chicks and they wont open their eyes! They are probably about 1-2 months old. I try to gently open them but the wouldn't! It seems like they are glued shut! I don't know what it is or what to do.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there a lot of dust or ammonia odor in their coop? Have they been exposed to a carrier of a respiratory disease? Is there any eye drainage or crusting? Can you put some saline or moisturizing eye drops in their eyes?

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Agreed You can take a papertowel or soft cloth wet saline water and try holding it on their eyes to see if they will clear up and open. They don't care for it much but it does help.

4. Smokey2201

Smokey2201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    I think that it may be a respiratory problem because they open their mouth when the breath. I will try some saline or eye drops.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you believe it is respiratory which is very possible, I would get some lincomycin/spectinomycin powder for the water, and start treating them for CRD. Most feed stores carry is in a couple of brands such as SpecLinx or LS50. Also, make sure that your ventilation is good, and that your bedding is dry and very clean, and changed when necessary. CRD or MG is chronic and spread by carriers in the flock, through hatching eggs, or from their previous owners.

6. Dixichicks

Dixichicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    East San Diego
    [​IMG]Hi there.
    Ive been dealing with my hen Goldie for fowl pox which affected one of her eyes. Ive been puting on eye ointments to keep the scab on her eye not as irritating then it eventually came off which then i thought would allow her eye to open. Now the bottom eyelid can open and close but er third eyelid (inner whitish eyelid) still won't open. She is eating, drinking, and acting very normal. The other girls haven't been bothering her.... Has anyone ever dealt with this that can tell me what to expext or if i should do anything more for her? Her eye sems healthy, no pus, not watery or anything other than just the inner eyelid won't open.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by