Chickens face covered in bumps

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hichicken, Nov 18, 2019.

1. hichicken

hichicken In the Brooder

Nov 18, 2019
    Hi everyone. I’m a long-time reader but first time writer. I thought I would try to find an answer here.

My Japanese bantam, Sandyghast, has large bumps all over her face. They look very uncomfortable and the right eye seems swollen. I first saw them yesterday morning. It seems like they grew overnight. I care for them daily and they are really spoiled and babied.

so far I have her separated. I’m giving her an antibiotic the feed store gave me when I told them her symptoms. She eats, drinks, poops, walks around and tries to escape her new area. She has always been sweet and is still letting us pet her and pick her up. After one day of antibiotics her color brightened and swelling seemed a bit better. Any knowledge and advice would be greatly appreciated.

She could have gotten into a fight with another hen/rat/mongoose. or bitten by a centipede or large spider. We have a flock of 15 and nobody else has any symptoms.

Attached Files:

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I don't have any insight to this issue. Just signing on to read what others have to say. But I think separating your bird from the others is a good idea and the antibiotics seem to be helping so I would continue that for the recommended period. Hope she gets better.

ValerieJ and hispoptart like this.
  3. hichicken

hichicken In the Brooder

Nov 18, 2019
    Thank you!
    I also posted on my local Facebook Group. Luckily a couple people were able to confirm that it is pox and laid out a treatment plan for her. The good news is that she has already been started on the correct antibiotics. Hopefully she will get better soon! I will update in case other people have this happen to them.

4. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yes, please update the thread with your pox treatment and the response of your hen. You started off with a good "before" picture, be sure to attach a good "after" picture as well.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have mosquitoes out now? How old is she? Fowl pox could be what you are seeing, but it can appear different on different birds. Pox is a virus, and antibiotics are not a usual treatment or usually necessary. Wet fowl pox is an occasional dangerous complication where lesions may be seen inside the beak, and can occur in the airway, trachea, esophagus, and crop. With the usual dry pox, the disease usually lasts about 3 weeks. It is spread through the flock when scabs are dried and fallen, and particles are inhaled.

sourland, ValerieJ and hispoptart like this.
  6. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    So would you separate the sick bird from the flock for 3 or more weeks to prevent the infection from spreading?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could, but separation sometimes creates problems later trying to reintegrate a bird who has been out of the pecking order for weeks. Since birds may be immune to pox after exposure, it might be best to let them all catch it over time, and get it over with. Since mosquitoes spread pox, it may affect more than one bird. There is a vaccine available for pox for birds who have not been affected.

gtaus likes this.
  8. hichicken

hichicken In the Brooder

Nov 18, 2019
    Sorry! It took me a while to see these and if I skip anyone it is not on purpose.

We live in Hawaii and there are tons of mosquitos. I have muscovies to eat them but They’re just babies.

Good news is that she is already looking better! I have her on amtyl 500, half a multi-vitamin and one peppercorn (on top of food) she has been eating/drinking/pooping and is very active still.

She is the one bird who is used to being separated for times. She fell in love with our two bunnies and she used to choose to sleep with them. She is sleeping in their hutch and the bunnies are in their other area so she can still see them. (All our birds are free range except the muscovies who have a pen)

I will be on the lookout for other birds catching it. I’m worried about that because of the mosquitos. I’m glad to read that most are immune after. Thank you so much for the advice! I did check her vent, legs, and mouth but didn’t see any sores. Here is a picture of her on antibiotics for two days and multivitamin for one. She started peppercorn today.

Attached Files:

gtaus likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: