Chicken's face moves when she breaths

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Natteegann, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Natteegann

Natteegann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    I have an 8 week old Golden Laced Wyandotte pullet that I was handling yesterday and thought to finally ask somebody about this. On the left side of her face when she is breathing the skin under her eye to her beak moves when she breathes. She is not congested, is gaining weight and acting completely normal. Any idea what this is or isn't? She of course is my favorite new pullet :)

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Nasal blockage. Can be caused by something obstructing the passage or causing enough inflammation to do the same, or it could be a symptom of respiratory disease or other diseases. Best to be pretty suspicious about it and take precautions. There are a host of good websites out there where you can search by symptoms to identify the disease. Even if it only shows on one side it can still be a disease.

Personally I'd give her raw freshly minced garlic, as much as she wants to eat, and all the others too. It's anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antifungal, antibiotic, and so forth... It can take care of a lot of different issues, and it's also known to speed healing.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Natteegann

Natteegann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2013
    OK. I will grab the garlic, still have lots left from the garden last year. She has always been this way so maybe I will be lucky and she just has a bum nostril :)

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    She's always been this way? I might then suspect she has a partial skull deformity, possibly heritable. I've never heard of a blocked nostril deformity but if you get missing-eye and cross-beak and lopsided skull deformities, why not that? Anything which has a standard shape can be deformed, after all.

But garlic's great for a lot of things, so it'll help anyway. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by