Chickens/farming/pesticides?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johnsons-r-us, Nov 4, 2011.

1. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I am hoping those who farm and have chickens will jump in here. I just thought of an issue I may have in the spring. We have some farmland next to our property that we don’t own. We don’t know who does. We’ve been here two years and those two years that land had been used for soybeans. I am not even sure how to contact the people that farm the land. I don’t think they own it either, but lease it. It’s a huge area that you can barely see across. My question is do I need to be concerned with pesticides as far as my chickens go? I am going to attempt to find out who farms the property so I can be sure that if my chickens range on the boarding land that it’s not an issue. [​IMG] Can anyone comment on this type of situation? I do tend to plan ahead....[​IMG]

2. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Quote:I don't farm, and the area I live in has exclusively organic agriculture so it isn't a problem for me. But if I lived in your situation I would sure be concerned about letting my chickens free range on that property. But then I go way out of my way to avoid chemicals in my chickens, my eggs and my body. Not everybody has that same concern.

3. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:I don't farm, and the area I live in has exclusively organic agriculture so it isn't a problem for me. But if I lived in your situation I would sure be concerned about letting my chickens free range on that property. But then I go way out of my way to avoid chemicals in my chickens, my eggs and my body. Not everybody has that same concern.

I agree, and I don't know why I didn't think about it when mine began free ranging. I guess I thought if they ate anything boarding the property (and it's about a 1/8 to 1/4 mile boarder) the rain would have washed it away. Didn't think about spring planting. I have no experience with farming so I have no idea what to expect. I wish the land belonged to someone with a house on it so I could just go ask! That's what's driving me crazy right now.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd not be concerned. The products they apply are pretty specifically targeted to the plants/ground. I'd not allow my chickens onto someone else's land in any case, and certainly not onto a field that is treated heavily with chemicals. I'm an organic truck farmer, so I understand your desires. Again, unless your birds get to within 10 feet of the outside row of soybeans, there isn't much to be concerned about.

Unless the treated fields are immediately adjacent to your property, whereby some misting ,"blow off" could occur, there's little to be concerned about.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Fred's Hens :

I'd not be concerned. The products they apply are pretty specifically targeted to the plants/ground. I'd not allow my chickens onto someone else's land in any case, and certainly not onto a field that is treated heavily with chemicals. I'm an organic truck farmer, so I understand your desires. Again, unless your birds get to within 10 feet of the outside row of soybeans, there isn't much to be concerned about.

Unless the treated fields are immediately adjacent to your property, whereby some misting ,"blow off" could occur, there's little to be concerned about.

What is this? I have not heard of an organic truck farmer?

They are literally connected to my property. There is maybe a foot or two that doesn't get planted; some of the plants actually hang over into our yard. I don't mind. We just see the big machines come in the spring and fall to tend to the fields. [​IMG] It’s really neat for us being “city folks” all our life to get to see it. I just have no idea what or if they spray. It has never affected our dogs, but we don’t eat them either. We have no fence and don’t intend on putting one up. I would never want to lose the view of being in the country. If we boxed ourselves in with a fence we might as well be living in a city subdivision. [​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Truck farming, vegetable, market gardening, produce farming, etc. Old term. Meant you "trucked" to market twice a week. [​IMG]

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I do know that soybeans are generally a heavily pesticided crop.

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If your neighboring property grows soybeans, there is a 99% chance they are using Monsanto's genetically altered beans (the US really doesn't have any non-GMO soybeans thanks to Big Ag's Big Hand in government regulation, which allows monopolies) and they use RoundUp in epic proportions on that crop. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot and check a RoundUp weed killer bottle for hazards and warnings.

Quote:What is this? I have not heard of an organic truck farmer?

They are literally connected to my property. There is maybe a foot or two that doesn't get planted; some of the plants actually hang over into our yard. I don't mind. We just see the big machines come in the spring and fall to tend to the fields. [​IMG] It’s really neat for us being “city folks” all our life to get to see it. I just have no idea what or if they spray. It has never affected our dogs, but we don’t eat them either. We have no fence and don’t intend on putting one up. I would never want to lose the view of being in the country. If we boxed ourselves in with a fence we might as well be living in a city subdivision. [​IMG]

9. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Fred's Hens :

Truck farming, vegetable, market gardening, produce farming, etc. Old term. Meant you "trucked" to market twice a week. [​IMG]

Sorry for the stupid question. That makes sense [​IMG]

10. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:What is this? I have not heard of an organic truck farmer?

Interesting...thank you! We need to make a trip there this weekend. I'm still hoping to be able to talk with the crop owners, but I also like to learn all I can in different ways. Maybe it will be we just have to keep them cooped up certain times to avoid issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by