Chickens feathers everywhere...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by toysamarie, Jul 25, 2014.

1. toysamarie

toysamarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2014
    Michigan
    We got our chickens in April, we have 4 Isa Browns, 5 Plymouth Barred Rock, and 2 Welsummers. They are loosing a lot of feathers. But there isn't any bald spots on any of them. Is this normal?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!! Like how many feathers? A HUGE amount or just a little here and there?
    Can you post pics of them and/or the feathers they've been losing? I know that my chicken are losing SOME feathers at the moment.

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Yes, normal. They go through a juvenile molt as teenagers. My run starred to fill with feathers around 13 weeks.

4. toysamarie

Apr 2, 2014
    Michigan
    we just cleaned the run and coop, plus it rained, so i cant take any pictures. And thank you, I was hoping they were just molting.

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I could take a picture of mine tomorrow. Feathers are everywhere. It's kind of a mini molt. The will have a bigger molt next summer.

6. hausfrau77

hausfrau77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Vancouver Wa
    I have a bunch of little ones as well and holy moley these last few weeks are molting feather messes! I was actually going to post the same question......can I piggyback your thread? (I love that so many other keepers post here, I can find references to almost every issue on this community)

Mine have No bugs, quality diet and free range backyard girls at 18 weeks old,, its just amazing to me the amount of feathers without a bald spot to be seen!

Do some fluffy pants breeds like cochin just feather the coop? (I was glad to read its all compostable, with just 5 girls I almost have a 5 gallon bucket full from this week lol!) I dont often see pics with others that have as messy a coop!

I see where the larger (new and so shiny !) feather are coming in, so hope it will slow down as I hope they have to concentrate on making eggs soon?!

7. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    We have 13 week olds girls and I have noticed a lot of feathers too. We collect them and plan on making an art project with my 5 year old daughter LOL.

8. toysamarie

Apr 2, 2014
    Michigan
    Is this normal molting? [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They go thru all kinds of funky looking stuff when they are molting.

10. toysamarie

Apr 2, 2014
    Michigan
    Ok thank you ッ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by