Chickens feet are black and falling off!

Farmer2379

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
I have a hen who must’ve got frostbite on her feet over the winter. She was acting normal until a week ago when one of my other hens was attacking her so I quickly scooped her up to check her out and saw her foot was bleeding and coming off!! Her whole foot is black and of the other foot only her toes are black. I feel so bad for her. I separated her into her own pen and now a week later the foot is almost completely off and a bit bloody. Her toes on her other foot haven’t started to fall off yet. She has a hard time balancing as I can imagine it is sore but other than that she acts fine. My question is should I be giving her something for infection? Or painkillers? Also I’m worried when one foot falls off and only the toes on the other, will she have trouble being lopsided? Tia

I had a rooster who lost both of his and I just bandaged and put neosporin on it and gave him tiny pieces of ibuprofen I made him little splints to help him walk too

I'm sorry about your hen's foot and toes. First of all, a baby aspirin given daily will help ease her pain. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are both toxic to chickens, so please give her baby aspirin only.

When each of my hen's feet detached, I kept the stumps medicated with triple antibiotic ointment and vetericyn spray until they completely healed. Per advice I got on her thread, I loosely wrapped each stump for a few days after detachment, I then let each stump finish healing unwrapped. I did keep her bedding very clean and dry to minimize any chance of infection.

I can link my hen's thread here if you care to read it. Otherwise feel free to ask any questions you have. The main thing is keep the wounds clean, dry and medicated while her little chicken body heals itself.

I'm sorry about your hen's foot and toes. First of all, a baby aspirin given daily will help ease her pain. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are both toxic to chickens, so please give her baby aspirin only.

When each of my hen's feet detached, I kept the stumps medicated with triple antibiotic ointment and vetericyn spray until they completely healed. Per advice I got on her thread, I loosely wrapped each stump for a few days after detachment, I then let each stump finish healing unwrapped. I did keep her bedding very clean and dry to minimize any chance of infection.

I can link my hen's thread here if you care to read it. Otherwise feel free to ask any questions you have. The main thing is keep the wounds clean, dry and medicated while her little chicken body heals Thank you! Do you know if there’s an egg withdrawal for giving her aspirin? Did you wrap her stumps with gauze? I have vet wrap and cotton pads I could use. I’ll also have to look up vetericyn I’ve never heard of it. She seems in very good spirits so I believe she will make it through this. I will read through your thread right now thank you!

I can link my hen's thread here if you care to read it. Otherwise feel free to ask any questions you have. The main thing is keep the wounds clean, dry and medicated while her little chicken body heals itself.
Thank you! Do you know if there’s an egg withdrawal for giving her aspirin? Did you wrap her stumps with gauze? I have vet wrap and cotton pads I could use. I’ll also have to look up vetericyn I’ve never heard of it. She seems in very good spirits so I believe she will make it through this. I will read through your thread right now thank you!

Pretty certain there's no egg withdrawal period for aspirin. (Pain doesn't gain resistance to aspirin the way bacteria gain resistance to antibiotics.) Is she currently laying? If so that's impressive considering the seriousness of her frostbite injuries. (My hen did resume laying about a month after her second foot came off.)

Yes I used non-stick gauze and vetwrap for the first few days after her feet detached, then left them uncovered until they finished healing. Now I once again keep them well-padded and wrapped, which allows Matilda to be more mobile. I unwrap weekly, check to make sure all looks ok under the vetwrap, then re-wrap for another week.

I am glad to know your hen is in good spirits. Yes, with a little extra time and care on your part, she is gonna make it and be just fine.🙂

Back
Top Bottom