Chickens feet are red and wrinkled - HELP me please!! (PICS ADDED)

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I am very worried about my girls. I have six - Golden Laced Wyandotte's and Buff Orpington's. They do not have a covered run. There is lots of snow on the ground right now and they are standing in it all the time. The skin between their toes is all red and wrinkled. What can I do for them? I don't have hay to put down, and the snow is frozen so it can't be shoveled. They are also finishing a molt. PLEASE help!! I feel bad for them. :(

Thanks!!
- Clucky

They do not have a covered run. There is lots of snow on the ground right now and they are standing in it all the time. The skin between their toes is all red and wrinkled. What can I do for them?
Do they have a covered shelter with roost they can stand on if they choose?

Posting again before you get an answer moves it off the unanswered board and makes your question more likely to be buried in the endless maze of threads... for future reference. Just leave it alone and wait until someone with experience or knowledge signs on to help as many of us have jobs or other obligations, despite our seemingly endless presence here. ;)

On the other end if your question has left the unanswered board.. doing a little "bump" post can move it back into the "recent" activity board where it might be seen again. :thumbsup

I would do what you can... toss out a piece of plywood, cardboard, an old blanket. Whatever ya got that's not metal. :confused:

Maybe plan a covered area for next year??

Add a wooden roost/perch where they are hanging out... 2x4 with cinder block at each end, fallen branch, or even a log to stand on. :fl

Pictures please? The redness could be the first sign of frostbite. Your chickens really need a way to get off the frozen snow. A covered run would be best so they always have a clear area to walk on. Hay, straw, leaves, wood chips or mulch could help for now. You may want to bring them indoors to see how their feet do in the next day or so. Is this their first winter in these conditions?

Do they have a covered shelter with roost they can stand on if they choose?

Posting again before you get an answer moves it off the unanswered board and makes your question more likely to be buried in the endless maze of threads... for future reference. Just leave it alone and wait until someone with experience or knowledge signs on to help as many of us have jobs or other obligations, despite our seemingly endless presence here. ;)

On the other end if your question has left the unanswered board.. doing a little "bump" post can move it back into the "recent" activity board where it might be seen again. :thumbsup

I would do what you can... toss out a piece of plywood, cardboard, an old blanket. Whatever ya got that's not metal. :confused:

Maybe plan a covered area for next year??

Add a wooden roost/perch where they are hanging out... 2x4 with cinder block at each end, fallen branch, or even a log to stand on. :fl

Ok, thank you. They have a roost in the run, but it is not covered. They have access to the coop all day. (Which has two roosts, nesting boxes, and wood shavings.)

Last edited:
Pictures please? The redness could be the first sign of frostbite. Your chickens really need a way to get off the frozen snow. A covered run would be best so they always have a clear area to walk on. Hay, straw, leaves, wood chips or mulch could help for now. You may want to bring them indoors to see how their feet do in the next day or so. Is this their first winter in these conditions?

I will get pics asap. Yes, this is their first winter. I'm so stressed. (BECAUSE I'm also a first time chicken mommy.)

Ok, here are the pictures. I am so worried I went out right away and got them. :hmm
Kiwi:
DSCN6901.jpg

DSCN6902.jpg

Blamo:
DSCN6904.jpg

@CatWhisperer @EggSighted4Life

(Which has two roosts, texting boxes, and wood shavings.)
Lol, take their dang phones away! :gig:lau

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :oops:

I was going to say they look fine all my birds feet are like that during wet pacific northwest winters, and they mostly do... BUT that last pic looks like a black toe which could be frost bite. If so it will likely fall off eventually if it's bad enough... but it does seem of concern. Even though this is their first winter with you... they must have had one already if they are just finishing up molt... do you know if the toe was black before you got her?

Is you coop big enough to not let them out or is that too crowded just adding more issues?

Are you able to go get some hay... or bit of LARGE wood bark/chips? They might just disappear. I know things disappear quickly in the mud here. :confused:

My one orps feet are red too. My first winter and first chickens since I was a kid. They will get red from the cold.
However, you do need fo do something go give them some space to be outside without having to stand on the snow the whole time.
Wood chips, hay, straw would work great to give some relief from standing on the ice cold.

Back
Top Bottom