Chickens feet = NASTY?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Oct 24, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I have a Barred Plymouth Rock with feet that are not pleasant to look at. Its scaly and dry and she's pecking off big clumps. When she pecks her feet it makes it bleed. My other chicken (buff orpington) doesn't have very nice feet either.
    What can I put on their feet?
    Pictures below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Looks like scaly mites not sure though
    I'd put vaseline on them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I agree, scaly leg mites. Nasty things. Keep the legs and feet well coated in vaseline. Go all the way up into the feathers that meet the legs. Rub in throughly making sure you get under the scales. The vaseline will eventually smother the mites. You may have to put on a couple times a day. Put on daily until you see the scales getting soft and starting to come off, leaving nice fresh skin beneath. Hope this helps.

4. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    That looks like a horrible case of leg mites [​IMG] Poor things

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh thats scaly leg mites! [​IMG] Those are REALLY bad if you dont treat it right. If you have felt (fabric) on your chicken ramp up into the house or any old unsanitary bedding burn it because they probably live in there. [​IMG] Good luck! Oh and isolate them from the rest of the reat of the flock.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes that is what it is. A really good case. I would dip ALL your chickens' feet in any type of oil...vegetable, mineral, olive doesn't matter. It does an easier job of getting in the cracks than vaseline although that will work if you work it in well. I would also treat the coop and areas with a little seven. I wouldn't isolate them if you treat them all as then you'll have to work on reintroducing them and upsetting the pecking order. Eventually, with enough treatments all that crud will fall off and their feet will be better. They may never return completely to normal though it is possible.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by