Chickens feet point in

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leigti, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    7CF5A15B-FB26-44ED-834E-561756B87C27.png Hello, I have a seven month old Easter Egger hen. I got her and to others a couple weeks ago. I noticed that she was lethargic, and week. Very unsteady on her feet and didn’t even want to stand up. I treated her for cocci for five days. She is now stronger, eating like crazy, more alert. She’s walking a little better but I’ve noticed that her legs are turned in word. So she still staggers around like a drunk. I have her separated out most of the time with just one other chicken. She was out supervised with the whole flock a few hours the last couple days. But of course they pick on her. Sometimes she runs away but other times she just lays there and they pick out her until I get them off of her.
    So, my main question is does anybody know what’s wrong? Here is a picture, I can’t figure out how to download a video.

2. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

for video upload it to youtube then just post the link and it will embed the video

3. Dawnclucks22

Dawnclucks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she sit down a lot or does she act mostly normal? Sometimes it could be a minor injury that repairs itself... My RIR had a small limp for about a week and it went away by itself.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chicken Obsessed

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    You could try to tape/splint her feet to try to correct. It maybe a vitamin deficiency, try giving Nutri Drench (vitamin/electroyltes). She looks to be a Barred Rock, is she laying?

5. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I am embarrassed to say that I don’t know how to do any of that. I don’t even know how to put it on YouTube.

6. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    She does lay down to rest but not as much as she did at first. At first she wouldn’t even walk.

7. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I will put some vitamins and minerals etc. in her water tomorrow. She is actually an Easter egg or and yes, she lays an egg almost every day.

8. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    So do you think the others will eventually except her or will they just keep picking on her? I am assuming she will stay at the bottom of the pecking order now.

9. h2oratt

h2oratt True BYC Addict

May 3, 2015
    Morada, california
    Usually they will keep picking on her. Until they hurt her.
    Chickens are mean

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock True BYC Addict

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a few more photos that are clearer ?

You can offer her some poultry vitamins that contain Riboflavin (B2), but likely the legs can't be corrected.

Genetic defect, parent stock with vitamin/mineral deficiency, improper incubation and leg bone deformities are all possibilities.

I'm sorry she is getting picked on, unfortunately that is what chickens do - pick on the weak. You can try placing her in a kennel inside the run or coop so the others can see her and try to integrate her slowly to see if that helps. Sometimes a challenged bird may never be accepted.

Eggcessive and ChickNanny13 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by