Chickens feet unable to move and really red.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BirdGirl2004, Dec 16, 2016.

1. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2016
    Hello recently was not prepared for negative temperatures the other night and so I didn't think of the lack of straw they have in there coop. I just bought huge bales of straw and opened them up, covered all of the cracks, stacked the, and spread them abroad. But it's not going to ring back my dead chicken a a chicken with frozen feet. Last night they survived since I covered everything but I am still not sure what I should do to to my chicken that has red feet and are unable to move. Yesterday that were completely frozen but today she can move like 1 toe. Just not sure what to do. Is there a remedy for my poor chicken? Please help!! I don't know what to do!!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keep her inside with food and water near her.If you keep her in the coop and she cant move she will die of dehydration.You can soak her feet in warm water for 15 minutes.Once she recovers slowly introduce her to the cold every day so she will get used to it .

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Epsom salts in warm water and a soft massage of her feet and legs once or twice a day......

Not sure what you use for Roosts? I will chat about that anyways......2x4s flat side up are great.......Chickens can then lay on the boards and cover their feet.....

Cheers!

4. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    I used your advice. Her feet aren't stuck in place, she can at least move them now. Thanks so much. You were a good help

5. chickens really

Keep doing it......Glad I could help......

Best of luck to you and the Bird......

Cheers!

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Glad she is doing better.

7. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    Her feet are now completely frozen. I have a coop that is filled and packed with bales and bales of straw and i have a box on it's side with the flaps so that they can just squeeze in and out. It's warm in there and she likes being with her pals so I think i can probably keep in outside. Whenever I go out there i dip her beak in water just to make sure. Thanks so much for your help.

8. chickens really

Huh.......I am confused......Her feet are completely frozen?

9. BirdGirl2004

Nov 19, 2016
    oops. I meant they are now not completely frozen. I soaked them in Epsom salt and warm water and they are now not frozen but she is still very cautious and doesn't move around as much as the others do. Thanks

10. chickens really

I hope she gets better now.......

Good luck.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by