Chickens Fight Over Roosting in one Spot...the LOWEST spot!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jemima66, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Jemima66

Jemima66 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Upstate, NY (BRRR)
    Hi!

Maybe this isn't too big a deal, but my husband just built a new coop, and we decided on a litter tray with roost space above that, three feet off the ground with a ladder going up to it. We first put 2 roost bars about six or seven feet long each level with each other just on top of the litter tray since we were having a really cold spell, and their former coop was too small. However, from the beginning they only want to roost on the side of the litter tray! This wasn't working out very well for 18 chickens and a rooster, since they all want the spot near the window. Today we raised the back-most roost, then put one slightly lower and what did they choose...you guessed it...to be in the SAME small spot near the window. Or maybe it's because the rooster was there and they want to be close to him (In the pics the rooster wasn't on the first ledge, but he had been when I wasn't taking the pictures!) ? They are literally fighting over the same spots...but I thought they want the highest roost spot?

Should this be a concern?

Also, we put in the ladder, but they fly to the edge of the litter try and then they jump down. Is this too high for them? I don't want them to get bumblefoot or hurt themselves.

(Also, if this is the wrong section to post this, I am sorry! Seemed most pertinent, but am not sure.)

Thanks so much!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd swap out those 1x3's(I think that's what they are?) for 2x4's, wide side up.
    Some of mine like the roost on the 2x2 edge of the roost board rather than the 2x4 roosts.

3. Jemima66

Jemima66 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Upstate, NY (BRRR)
    Ha, not sure what they are. I would have to ask my husband. But the edge prior to today was only about an inch or less wide, and yet they still preferred that! I can't figure it out. I would think that would hurt their feet. My husband did put a 'shelf' on top of that edge today (which he probably shouldn't have until they saw that there were, ya know, other roosts behind them!)

They are funny creatures. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by