Chickens fighting :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by asheshp, Oct 15, 2016.

1. asheshp

asheshp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2016
    PA
    Hello! So my leghorn hens beat up my EE hens and rooster. I have no idea what to do but I hate watching my EEs get bullied. They get less treats cause my leghorns wont let them unless I physically keep them away. Also they attack the rooster and once he decides to defend himself I think the hens will get hurt, he is twice their size. Ideas? Why is their pecking order so off? Is it just pecking order or is it them being bullies? My EE could be at the opposite end of the coop and they will go over just to peck at the rooster.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You have White Leghorns I assume....Red Hens and White hens are very aggressive towards any birds that are not the same colour...Production Birds are mean...Get rid of them and your flock will be happy.....

Cheers!

3. FarmerTony

FarmerTony Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    Leghorns are an aggressive breed. I don't raise them anymore for that reason. As CR said, its best if you stick to similarly colored birds unless you start a large flock of mixed birds, then there are usually fewer problems. I have raised reds and whites together, but there were intermediate birds and blacks too.

4. chickens really

Correct....Production Leghorns and RIR are terrible in a mixed flock...I have an almost White lavender splash Orpington in with my mixed coloured birds and all is fine.....

Cheers!

5. asheshp

asheshp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2016
    PA
    We definitely want more hens then we have now. Are there some that maybe would help unite the flock as a whole or are we doomed with the leghorns? I know introducing new hens is a process but we want more hens not less. Also thank you all for answering!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  6. Sarahcole

Sarahcole New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Wonder if someone could answer my question, my poor speckled rock was attacked the other day by my other chickens, they attacked her to bone, can someone tell me why they have done this to her.:(

7. chickens really

Your Doomed...Kidding....Get rid of the Leghorns...Then get some nice docile birds...Barred Rock, Orpingtons, EEs, Brahmas...Lots of great breeds...

Best of Luck...

Cheers!

8. chickens really

Your case could be Nutritional? or boredom or both....I suggest start a new thread for yourself...

Cheers!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Not sure I agree with the conclusions drawn so far without more info.

How old are these birds?
    Were they raised together...or did they just meet?
    How big is your coop and run....in feet by feet?

1 person likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Aart has asked some very valid questions. More information may help us uncover some underlying problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by