Chickens flap and scratch when I pick them up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frickenchicken1, Jan 17, 2017.

1. frickenchicken1

frickenchicken1 Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    whenever i pick my chickens up they always scratch and flap trying to go out of my reach. I've watched videos on how to hold them and tried a few techniques (1 hand on each side of the body, gently but firmly holding wings down and also the technique where you place one hand on there chest between there legs and one hand on one of their wings- other side of the body held against you) but it always ends up with them scratching me and flapping their wings. What techniques do you use and what works best for you? do any of you use the techniques that i've tried- have they worked well for you?

2. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    I just pick them up pressing one side of thier body towards my body holding the wing on the other side down, then i have a free hand to pet thier head and speak softly to them it seems to work none of them "like it" but they dont struggle as much, the key is to always hold thier winds down towards thier body any way that you hold them

3. frickenchicken1

Nov 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you for the reply, I think it may also be the fact that I got my girls at an older age, what age did you get yours?

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    If they weren't handled as babies they'll probably be a little more difficult to handle. Not all birds will like or tolerate it, even so. I have 2 birds that we got at 3 days old, and 2 that we got at 7 weeks. Not surprisingly the pair we got first are far less likely to run from us (they don't at all) and the one of those tolerates holding the best (the other will sit on your arm, but does not want to be held).

The method I usually use is to put one hand under their tummy and then I tuck them under my arm to hold the wings down. That way I have a hand free to do other stuff.

5. frickenchicken1

Nov 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    yes, I think i'm going to have to try different methods and see what works best for me, thanks for the idea!

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I just tuck them under my arm like a Football and they dangle their legs.....I never have an issue holding my birds if I need too? I never hold them very often though....

Cheers!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use hands on both sides then football.....at first they hate it, but once they realize they aren't 'going to die' most will accept handling.
    Repeating the handling in short spurts will get them more used to it....takes time and patience.
    Big thing is for you to remain calm, if you are anxious they can feel that and often react to it by struggling.
    Also depends on your goals... I only handle birds to examine them or move them to where I want them, not for cuddling.

8. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Most all of mine Ive had since chicks, there are 6 I added as laying hens and when they get out they are the hardest to get, ive only been able to hold them down to give medication to, never held.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by