Chickens flattened out sunbathing on cool ground.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buttercup Chillin, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Its been hot here. Really Hot and Humid for weeks and weeks. We just had our first rain in over a month I think.

I looked out at the hens and thought there had been a hawk attack or something. I have chickens laying all over the yard. They look like they are pushing themselves flat on their sides. Just soaking up the coolness from the ground.

AH, this is the life. Cool ground and warm sun. [​IMG]

I walk by and they don't bother moving. They just look at me as if to say, this is cool, it feels so good, you should try it.

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Mine do the same exact thing! I call out to them sometimes just to see if they're okay!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Here in Wales we have much lower temperatures and we tend to see chickens lying with their wings outstretched and flattened on the ground (often several in a heap) sunbathing. Chickens are adaptable,

Sandie

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Ya, mine do the heap of sun worshippers in the winter. Or a staggered line of ladies. As well as the loners with outstreached wings.

I 've just never seen them worship the cool ground like that before. Pushing themselves to the ground on one side and wings slightly stretching soaking up the sun on the other. It was a sight. I didn't even think to grab a camera before I went out to chesk on them.

But this has been a heatedly horrid misserable summer. I have soaked down under a shade tree daily all summer to help keep them cool.

I think they can sense the break in the weather. So just maybe the worst of the heat is truely over. They do seem more relaxed now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by