1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens fled the coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eva3000, Nov 24, 2012.

1. eva3000

eva3000 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    i have (had) 4 hens, 1 rooster and 6 chicks (about 2 months old). they have all been fine, happy and seemingly safe in our pen and home-made coop for the past 6 months or so, until last weekend when we came home to find one of the hens had been attacked and killed and the rest were gone. we guess that there were attacked by a hawk, or some kind of predatory bird. there was no evidence that the fence was tampered with or broken into.

i've been expecting to see them slowly return to the coop out of instinct, but there's been no sign of them for six days. any suggestions about how to find them? will they return? is there any hope? i'm heartbroken :(

2. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    I am so sorry!! :(

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry. If they haven't come back yet they probably wont. They're a lot of other predators out there and since your bird's are gone and have no protection something has probably gotten them. I'm very sorry. Hopefully I'm wrong.

4. JDMcK03

JDMcK03 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    We have a fenced yard, and do let them out of the coop/pen area to free range. This summer though, my son looked out the window and yelled "Mom, there is a bald eagle outside!" We went outside and did not see the bird, but it seemed all our chickens disappeared. I thought they were all gone! But after searching the yard, they were all super quiet and huddled in some brush up against our back fence. All were accounted for. Is your yard fenced? Have you searched the area? Were they allowed out of the pen to free range? I hope you find them soon :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by