Chickens...flowerbeds...question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by superjules75, Nov 7, 2009.

1. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I would appreciate advice...

There are many areas in our yard where my 4 chickens can take dirt baths, but there is one particular bed my DH does NOT want them to go in. Is there anything that can be put in the bed that will keep them out. I know they have a bad sense of smell, so I doubt there is any scent that would work, but I would love to hear if anybody has a tip. Thanks!

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Only real way I can think of would be a fence. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    If it's not a huge area, I'd try pinning down wire on the ground where you don't want them to dust bathe. They can't scratch down into the dirt that way.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Fences are the only real answer, and the little decorative ones don't work. Mine just hopped over.

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have several flower beds and there are definitely ones that the girls are not allowed to enter. I have to keep an eye out while they're free ranging and if they go into the prohibited flowerbed, I sneak out the side door and spray water at them. It rarely hits them as they see me before I can get the hose aimed, but boy do they run away in a hurry. After a few times of this, they give up and learn to play elsewhere and I don't have to be so vigilant.

I've seen posts mentioning spraying the plants with grape koolaid.... sounded weird, but inexpensive, so I gave it a try. Obviously, it didn't make an ounce of difference...

6. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the tips everybody. I think I'll try spraying them first and then move down the line with all of the suggestions.

7. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

GIVE UP! [​IMG]

8. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA