1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens flying around in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    My chicks will be 2 weeks old on Tuesday. They are fast outgrowing the brooder box.As you can see in the picture, they really are way too crowded-they are growing so fast!

[​IMG]

This morning one daring chick jumped up on TOP of the feeder bottle. I had the lid off at the time. She then half flew/half jumped to the rim of the brooder and out into my kitchen she went!
    Hubby wasn't too keen on keeping baby chicks in the kitchen to start with. He just happened to be standing there when she did this.

Within 2 hours I had me a NEW brooder box! A plastic pool with cardboard sides to increase the height. (We bought the pool a week ago to do this, but never set a definitive date for building it). He also built me a circular lid made out of PVC which is covered with a screen.

This new brooder box sits in the enclosed front porch (which has heating and A/C running to it) under the brooder light.....I'm happy...Hubbys is happy (they are out of his kitchen) and most of all the chicks are happy. They seem to LOVE this new freedom of actually having room to run around and play.

[​IMG]

Now I know if I need anything done in a hurry around here, I have only to let lose a chicken in the kitchen!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    That is so cute. You have yourself some cute babies. Glad the babes are happy and Hubby too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by