1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens flying the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vigario, Oct 31, 2011.

1. vigario

vigario Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I have a 40x40 chicken run made with 4' tall wire fencing. I clip their wings, but they keep getting out. I watched them jump to the top of the fence, rest there, then jump over. Yesterday, I heard a "I laid an egg" cackle but paid no attention to it as it came from across the street. I then looked up only to see once of my chickens flying across the street and over the pasture fence.

How high shoudl the fence be?

Thanks

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    4 feet is pretty low for any chicken. I would say at least 6 feet for standards, even then a good wing clipping as well.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Can you put poultry netting over the top? I know 40x40 is alot to cover, but you might want to consider it.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Ours is 6-7 foot tall and we still have escapees....

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had a really bad problem with my new chickens this year jumping our 4 Ft. chainlink fence, and after placing everything in the world up there to make it higher, I found out that by buying poultry netting only 40 inches high, they won't fly over it since they can't jump up on it and then go over. We do not electrify it either, so I think any flimsy netting type fence would work.

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you clip one of their wings?

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My fence is 4', but I don't have support at the top for them to perch on. I was told that would encourage them to fly over. I only once saw my polish fly over the fence, and that's when I was letting them out to free range! I know they can, but they just don't...

8. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    I have 6' high welded wire fencing, and one of SLW and my phoenix and her 2 babies fly up and over it every day. I haven't clipped their wings though.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Do you have somewhere they can perch before they jump over?

10. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

I've seen my Phoenix hen roosting above my run door - there's a little triangle of empty space between the run door and the roof. So, yes - they do have a spot they can rest before they make the leap over, heheh. I'm not worried about it though - I figure they're welcome to free-range if they want it that bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by