1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens foot (claw) is bleeding fast. How do I stop it? *URGENT*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WoodChic, Feb 7, 2011.

1. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    One of our white leghorns claw is bleeding, like it got pushed in hard or something. (The chicken also has a small wound on it's chest that breaks the skin a little, but that looks like it oughta heal up just fine. ) How do I stop the bleeding? The chicken is about 3 1/2 years old anyway, so we could just have chicken for dinner, but it appears to still be laying. [​IMG] Any idea's? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    you could press a big pinch of flour onto the toe and apply pressure until it stops bleeding. Hope you can save it. Keep us posted.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have had 2 chickens do this both ripped off the end of their claws, both bleed alot. I tried flour but the only thing that actually stopped the bleeding and it still took awhile was pressure and quick stop powder..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by