Chickens foot is yellow and swollen?

MyersChickens

Chirping
Jul 30, 2021
Hello, so about 4-5 years ago one of our hens, her name is Cleo, had bumblefoot. We tried everything the websites told us to do. Bathe the feet in Epsom slt and warm water, then cut out the roots with a scalpel, then wrap the foot in gauze so it wouldn't get infected, and repeat until it was gone. But nothing ever worked. I don't think we ever managed to get all the roots out even though we tried repeatedly. Eventually after many hours and nights, we gave up since they seemed like it wasn't bothering them at all. And until today she's been fine. It hasn't gotten worse, hasn't made her foot swell up, hasn't made her limp or anything. But just recently I saw that the bottom of her foot was starting to turn yellow and swell up just a tad, and some of her scales were popping up too. And she was slightly limping. I thought it was scaly leg mites since they cause scales to pop up. So we did that treatment for a couple weeks, and she stopped limping. However although it didn't get any worse it also didn't seem to get any better. Now about 2 weeks after we stopped the treatment, that foot is incredibly swollen and hard, and she also still has those popped up scales. The yellowness and hardness lead me to believe it's the bumblefoot coming back after years and getting worse, but maybe it's something else. So please tell me if it's the bumblefoot coming back or something else. And yes I know she still has the black bumblefoot root. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• 1E4844E7-ACF6-43C1-9222-E6AD5FB2B691.jpeg
    1E4844E7-ACF6-43C1-9222-E6AD5FB2B691.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 10ADF0B8-53C2-4517-9053-BF9FDE01A113.jpeg
    10ADF0B8-53C2-4517-9053-BF9FDE01A113.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 15
  • B023D478-558E-4AA9-B52B-7C4BC98EBB85.jpeg
    B023D478-558E-4AA9-B52B-7C4BC98EBB85.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 15
Hey, I started a new thread called chickens foot is yellow and swollen? I'd love if you could check it out and give me advice on how I might be able to help her. However if it is bumblefoot, then I'm not going to do anything besides maybe start soking it 1-2 times a week to just help soften it. Because years ago as you'll read in the post I already tried and nothing worked. Thank you! Here's the link, tell me if it works

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-foot-is-yellow-and-swollen.1485931/

Yes, it's bumblefoot.
If you've had it before, then you should be able to recognize that:)
As mentioned on your other thread. It is bumblefoot. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worm-in-chickens-eye.1485174/post-24769300

You may want to try using tricide Neo if you haven't been successful in the past.
Instructions are in post 2 of this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/

I treated my chicken's bumblefoot (successfully) by bathing the foot is epsoms salts every other night, hitting it with betadine, then putting some Prid drawing salve on a gauze and wrapping it to the foot with that stretchy, sticky gauze tape. After a few days of doing this a small marble like pellet came out while I was cleaning the foot. I continued the washing, betadine and Prid for another week then called it quits. No cutting or pain and it never returned. Might want to try Prid instead of the scalpel.

As mentioned on your other thread. It is bumblefoot. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worm-in-chickens-eye.1485174/post-24769300

You may want to try using tricide Neo if you haven't been successful in the past.
Instructions are in post 2 of this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/
do you know a good place to get tricide neo? Would you mind sharing a link? Because I'm trying to find it on Amazon and I'm not sure if it's just not there, or there's just a lot of different choices. And none of them look like powders either.

do you know a good place to get tricide neo? Would you mind sharing a link? Because I'm trying to find it on Amazon and I'm not sure if it's just not there, or there's just a lot of different choices. And none of them look like powders either.
I bought it from here: https://www.koiacres.com/tricide-neo-1-gallon-mix.html

They sell a five gallon mix too.

I've treated around 5 bumblefoot infections in four different hens. One of my hens is just like yours, I've tried it all and nothing has worked. As for the others, they too have been subjected to many experimental treatments. The only thing that has ever worked has been antibiotics. The first time I treated successfully was a combo effort of soaking in Tricide neo, slathering with silver sulfadiazine cream, wrapping the foot, then a daily does of Baytril (Enrofloxacin). Baytril is for gram-positive bacteria strains, and bumblefoot is caused by staph which is gram-positive. I was treating two hens simultaneously. One of those hens had a reoccurring bumblefoot infection exactly a year later and time constraints led me to treat strictly with Baytril alone and treatment was still successful.

As for the poor hen with a reoccurring case, she's my only chicken to have ever been to the vet. It was within the first three months of having chickens and I felt fortunate to have access to vet care since I didn't know the first thing about bumblefoot. He advised me to never do surgery, saying it can make it worse, and gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics. The bumblefoot didn't go away so I took her to a different vet and talked them into surgery. Well that was three years ago and it didn't work. I realize now if I probably hadn't done surgery, and had did a much longer course of antibiotics, then she probably could have healed. For the other birds, I've dosed them on average for 3-4 weeks before the bumble went away, and the one hen who has had it twice was dosed for two months on treatment Round 2. Her bumblefoot infection actually hardened into a ball of dried up puss, and over a period of a couple of weeks, the swelling seemed to get bigger, and then one day there was just a large hole where the pus ball was sort of ejected from the TOP of the foot, which was crazy because there was a bumblefoot scab on the bottom. AT that point I did start packing the wound for about a week until it started healing.

Last edited:
You can find it here
https://www.koiacres.com/featured/tricide-neo.html

Instructions for use are found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/post-6526194

@dawg53 has several other posts about using Tricide Neo, so do an onsite search for those.

I bought it from here: https://www.koiacres.com/tricide-neo-1-gallon-mix.html

They sell a five gallon mix too.

I've treated around 5 bumblefoot infections in four different hens. One of my hens is just like yours, I've tried it all and nothing has worked. As for the others, they too have been subjected to many experimental treatments. The only thing that has ever worked has been antibiotics. The first time I treated successfully was a combo effort of soaking in Tricide neo, slathering with silver sulfadiazine cream, wrapping the foot, then a daily does of Baytril (Enrofloxacin). Baytril is for gram-positive bacteria strains, and bumblefoot is caused by staph which is gram-positive. I was treating two hens simultaneously. One of those hens had a reoccurring bumblefoot infection exactly a year later and time constraints led me to treat strictly with Baytril alone and treatment was still successful.

As for the poor hen with a reoccurring case, she's my only chicken to have ever been to the vet. It was within the first three months of having chickens and I felt fortunate to have access to vet care since I didn't know the first thing about bumblefoot. He advised me to never do surgery, saying it can make it worse, and gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics. The bumblefoot didn't go away so I took her to a different vet and talked them into surgery. Well that was three years ago and it didn't work. I realize now if I probably hadn't done surgery, and had did a much longer course of antibiotics, then she probably could have healed. For the other birds, I've dosed them on average for 3-4 weeks before the bumble went away, and the one hen who has had it twice was dosed for two months on treatment Round 2. Her bumblefoot infection actually hardened into a ball of dried up puss, and over a period of a couple of weeks, the swelling seemed to get bigger, and then one day there was just a large hole where the pus ball was sort of ejected from the TOP of the foot, which was crazy because there was a bumblefoot scab on the bottom. AT that point I did start packing the wound for about a week until it started healing.
Ok, thank you so much! This hen that has it again did also have it a couple years back, and we tried surgery then to no success. I hope that the attempted surgery isn't what caused her to get it again. And I hope I'm not too late to help her. Do you know how many uses you get from one packet? I've heard people say that you can't reuse the water mixture, which seems to mean that if I get one packet thats used for one gallon of water, then if I use the correct amount from the packet for one quart, I'll only get 4 uses out of it? Which means I'll have to buy tons of these? I don't think I'll be able to spend that much money. Do you know if it is fine to reuse the water mixture?

Back
Top Bottom