1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens for kids?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FriendlyFlyer, Sep 10, 2011.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I would like to get my little brother and sister a chicken of their own next spring (of course I will take care of them but they can call them theirs) I was thinking about getting my sister a silkie bantam. I'm not sure what I want to get my brother but I was thinking maybe a cochin.. What would you say are good breeds for young kids to hold and pet? Thank you! All ideas are welcome!

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Cochins are great, they are so nice and gentle. My four year old loves our white Cochin Luna. Our baby Partridge Cochin doesn't like to be held much but he's still a wee one [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMAG0456 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Get a couple silkies. [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We took our kids to pick out their own at the farm store. My girls are 8, 10, and 17. My girls brought home an Easter egger, brahma, and a rhode island red. Every single chicken I have is very friendly. We held them everyday since the day they were brought home.

I've heard silkies are wonderful too. Good luck with the new chicks.

5. franciscreek

franciscreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Northern California
    you cant beat the Nankins for younger kids. They have a calm disposition and are a good size for the kids to handle

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have two plymouth rocks (one barred, one partridge) that are extremely friendly and like being held, don't mind being played with. They're large enough to withstand any rough play from children, but might be too big for a 4yr-old... I've found that I can tell from day 1 which chicks will be friendly and which will be skittish, so *meeting* them first may be your best bet.

7. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i would say bramas or orpingtons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by