Chickens FR in storm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dixygirl, Sep 6, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Hi,
    I let my chickens out this morning to free range and now it is storming. They don't want to go back into their pen. They are hanging out under the bushes. Is it ok for them to be outside in a storm? Or do i need to go out and insist they go inside their pen?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    They will be O K. Mine even like to play in the snow. I have three that will not go in at any time. If I do catch them and place them in the coop, they go crazy until I let them out. Then it is right into the tree outside my bedroom window. The roo lets me know when it is 3:30 a m.

3. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I had to let my little ones (4 months old) out this morning. They are still in their temporary home- the shed and a very tiny run that worked well when there were 4 weeks old , but not now.
    The wind is picking up and its raining pretty hard. They are all under the deck, which is pretty well sheltered. I just went out and moved their food and water under there so that they would stop pecking around in the rain and they seem to be ok.
    I've been going out every so often to check on them. So far I've been soaked thru 3 times. I'll be going out again in a few minutes to bring them treats and check again.

If it starts getting really wet under there or way too windy, I'll force them back to the shed and lock them in but its such a tiny space I don't want to unless it becomes totally necessary. I'm really torn also as to what is best for them, so looking forward to experienced people answering your question.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I recently spoke to a close friend of mine in S LA who was preparing for hurricane Gustave, he let all of his animals out of the barn and corrals, horses, chickens, goats and when the storm passed they all came back. He said they would be safer if they took care of themselfs instead of risking injury in an enclosed barn, he didn't lose not one, even the chickens returned and all layed eggs the next day.

So yes i would say it would be just fine, they know how to seek safety and shelter, and may even be less stressful on them.

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks al6517. Thats what I kinda figured- that being locked in the shed would be worse than the storm for them. I'll just keep checking on them to make sure they stay dry

6. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Thank you all also [​IMG]
    That helps me to stop worrying.

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I put my group out this morning before the rain started. We left to run errands and by the time we got home their run was flooded. The ducks are loving it.

All my chickens looked like drowned rats, specially the Silkies. We rounded them all up and put them in their coop to dry off. I suppose I could have just left them out, but the Silkies looked so pitiful lol. I just took them some treats, but I dont think they are too happy locked up!

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are stupid. Ok that was harsh. However it's what I would equate them to at times. Similar situation about a month ago: Big black clouds rolling in. Really close lightening with loud, booming thunder. Rain begins to pelt the ground in huge drops. Chickens: "what's a storm?" The word “oblivious” leaps to the front of my mind. LOL

They’ll be fine.

9. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    By mid afternoon, the rain was pouring like from buckets and I got help and went out and forced them in. They were soaked and so was I after just a few minutes. Today I am hoarse and feel lousy. Next storm, I will just let them out of the coop into their run because they don't have the sense to run back home for cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by