Chickens free-ranging for the first time

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amyh, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My chickens are free ranging for the first time today (they've been locked in their coop for almost two weeks so they know it's home). I'm a little concerned about them going back into the coop...

We just had a thunderstorm roll through and it got really dark and poured for a few minutes and the chickens just plopped their butts down in the woods and didn't even attempt to get back into the coop... am I going to be chicken chasing tonight to get them back in there??

I am 9 months pregnant and really don't feel like running after four chickens in 100 degree heat.......

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Not all chickens give a flying flop about rain. My silkies will gladly stand in torrential downpour and flooding. Don't worry. Once that sun starts to go down they'll know the way to their safe haven.

3. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    2 weeks seems long enough for them to learn that the coop is their home. Keep your fingers crossed, they might surprise you and put themselves to bed without a chase. Ours return to the coop by 7:30 most nights (8pm the latest), I just go out and secure the door behind them.

4. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I really hope so....... as much as the neighbors would love to see me running around chasing chickens with this giant belly, I'm sure. [​IMG]

5. kimbalaya

kimbalaya Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    Ours free ranged for the first time last evening. They were only out about a half hour before it was getting dark and before I knewit, all 15 of them (about 7 weeks old) were back in the coop.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    They will be fine. I have over 100 birds they all file back in around 8 or so and everyone is in the coop by 8:30 at the latest.

7. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Do you all have fenced yards? I really want to let my chickens free range eventually, but I'm afraid because our yard isn't fenced in. We live on 5 acres and far from the road. My biggest concern is that the small dogs next door (about 20 lbs) sometimes come over into the yard.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    8:30 and they are still milling around... it's getting dark.... I think the stupid birds don't know how to get up the ramp...

What do I do now?

9. 8chixNC

8chixNC New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    My chicks trained easily to go back into the coop ~ they see me coming with a treat, and follow me right in! In this HOT weather, I bring them a hunk of cool watermelon and they go to town! [​IMG] But their all time favorite treat is BLUEBERRIES!!

10. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank goodness all the hens are back in the coop. Three of them went back in on their own, the fourth made it all the way to the top then jumped back down. I had a heck of a time finding her in the woods... she decided that she prefers to roost in a tree. [​IMG] Hopefully that won't last too long!!

Thanks for everyone's advice!! I guess my chickens are more of 9:00 chickens... night owls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by