Chickens, French Fries and Snakes

Rattie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Hello! I have four 6 week old chicks - a mixed crowd of a barred rock roo, two easter eggers and a Rhode Island Red. They're great fun and I normally feed them medicated chick crumbles, but I like to mix in some left-overs for variety. So apparently, chickens treat all long thin things like snakes. A cold french fry entails a lot of peeping and clucking and excitement, then there's stalking and the quick stab at one end of it, ostensibly the "head" of the dangerous legume. It is then tossed, and it lands amongst the other chickens amidst much squawking and running about - eeek! there's a poisonous fry in our cage! the other chickens then go at it the same way, pecking and tossing it until its "back" is broken, then one chicken tears off the "head" and the others run around after it. Hilarious!

welcome-byc.gif
from Oklahoma!

I used to toss in a piece of bread and watch one chick grab it and run. The others, of course, chased, grabbed, and ran too. We called it 'chick football'. They are too funny!

Welcome, I am a newbie too.
big_smile.png

I will have to try the french fry trick. Mine find lizards and play chicken football. Also, they love the fat off of meat. They will go crazy over it.

Back
Top Bottom